Thursday, June 26, 2014

Weeds and Truth

"Why do you always have to be right Annie?"

I heard these words again today and I had to cringe.
Many of my friends have said this to me, usually right after I corrected their bad decision or told them a fact about something they didn't know before. I like to coach people. I like to counsel people in making wise decisions when it comes to exercise, spending money, and other daily life decisions. I thought this would be a good trait now that part of my job with Magdalene Hope is to help people grow and realize their true potential....

But sometimes I feel like I overstep my bounds. God has put this topic on my heart all day long. I've been meditating on my actions of the past and present and this is what I feel like I should say:
I am so so so deeply sorry if I have ever made you upset by pushing you to change or to make a different decision in your life. I promise you, every time I do that...it is out of complete love for you. I have never been good at showing my emotional feelings for people. My love comes out in truth-and-logic-oriented motivation to change.
I see so much beauty inside every single one of you and I want to be a catalyst to bring out that beauty.

I've been on my hands and knees in the dirt and rocks, pulling weeds for hours, while thinking and thinking of my actions. And I am almost ashamed of myself. I have been so hard on my friends. The more I care about them, the harder I am! I pushed and pushed my friends and significant others to be more. And I ask myself if this is why so many of my relationships fail.

I should have showed you love.

I need you to understand my heart. I've been pulling weeds until my fingers are rubbed raw all day because  this yard-job should be done right. I don't want to cover up the weeds with mulch and call it a day. I know how beautiful this yard can be and I cannot rest until it comes into fruition. And that is how I am in my relationships. I don't want to see you "just get by", I want to see you shine!

So I want to apologize for being overly motivated, overly truthful, and intense. I want to work on showing grace and love to those around me. Thank you for putting up with me and showing me grace. If you know me, please help me grow by telling me the answers to these questions:

Have I shown you grace and love? Have I been harsh or overly truthful to you? If it has ever felt like I "always had to be right", what would you like to see me do instead?

Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment